• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Professional Advice.....

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I totally agree with you, Theresa! I, too, will be jumping for joy if I had a chance to get a "clerk-admission" job. It is a step in the right direction and, later, an opportunity to do some coding after the company can see what the new employee can do.

Sparky

Linda, Theresa, and Carolyn, You are most welcome and thank you!! I came across some inspirational quotes and wanted to share on a positive note. When I feel I am at my lowest point, I collect my thoughts, breathe and keeping telling myself I "CAN" do this. I start to climb back up that ladder of HOPE, staying positive, and knowing there is always TOMORROW! We "CAN" do this! I will keep you posted on this journey of mine, no matter the out come.

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps."

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true."

My Friends, I do hope we stay in touch and continue to inspire each other on our journeys.

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."

Kathy

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
I haven't seen a response on the comment: "the education I am receiving is not helpful in anyway, when submitting exams, there is no explanation to any incorrect answers I give. Just says "comment, incorrect code". I am on my last module of this course and really cannot wait til its over with."

This comment really worries me ... I am in the middle of the MTA class right now. This is all new to me and I am now worried that when I start the coding class I will be lost with no explanation if I am not understanding what I am trying to learn. Isn't that why we have a "coach" to explane things to us in the hard to understand sections? Please let me know how this works before I start the coding class because I am suddenly feeling very nervous about selecting an online class.

Sparky

Kathy, I can only speak on my experience with the career school I am dealing with (Penn Foster). I asked them many questions but never get a straight answer. I am disappointed with their services and was straight forward with them about it.

I can only suggest is that you research with online schools and ask many, many questions about resources, feedback on exams, contacts, discussions, the whole nine yards. Every educational source is different in one way or another. I wish you the best of luck, I hope this helps, keep me posted.

Kimberly121

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
I haven't seen a response on the comment: "the education I am receiving is not helpful in anyway, when submitting exams, there is no explanation to any incorrect answers I give. Just says "comment, incorrect code". I am on my last module of this course and really cannot wait til its over with."

This comment really worries me ... I am in the middle of the MTA class right now. This is all new to me and I am now worried that when I start the coding class I will be lost with no explanation if I am not understanding what I am trying to learn. Isn't that why we have a "coach" to explane things to us in the hard to understand sections? Please let me know how this works before I start the coding class because I am suddenly feeling very nervous about selecting an online class.
Kathy,

I also took on-line classes (medical billing, anatomy, coding, etc.), and I honestly didn't learn anything. The teacher/classmates didn't respond to questions, and if they did, we were then two chapters down the road. Everyone was basically on their own. The classes were so fast paced, there wasn't time to absorb any of the material. All the test were open-book, so you had plenty of time to search the books for the answers. Once I completed the courses, I had to basically start over and re-study what I should have learned. After many more months of studying, I passed my CPC exam (barely) a few months ago. My best advice is to take a coding class in person, or an on-line course that promises to interact with the students. My community college really let me down! I took the Blitz review course offered here, and it honestly saved me! I wouldn't have passed the exam without it! Aslo, take advantage of various bloggs for info. and advice.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

Hi Kathy,
How are you liking your MTA class? Is it the one here from CCO? I just completed it a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and took advantage of the extra exercises included with it. They really help.

You mention being worried about your coding class when you start it. Is it with CCO? If so do not worry. I am two chapters into it. (PBC 2013) I love it! There are frequent reviews throughout the chapters as well as a chapter exam in the accompanying workbook. The answers are provided in a separate download. (They are not in the books themselves.) Also, not only are the answers provided, the rationale that supports them is given as well. (That is of great value right there!) The same is true for the final chapter exam that you submit online. In addition to all that, you have access to the student (private) forums where you can further communicate your progress, struggles, tips and whatever else with other students and your instructor.

Kathy

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Luna- I am taking the CCO MTA (we have chatted before!) I'm about half way thru the class and I was planning on taking the coding at CCO also. I just want to make sure I will have support when I need it. The MTA class is pretty much on your own and I really don't know what to expect when I get to the coding part. Let me know how you like it when you get a few more chapter in ok? Thanks!

Kathy

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Kathy,

I also took on-line classes (medical billing, anatomy, coding, etc.), and I honestly didn't learn anything. The teacher/classmates didn't respond to questions, and if they did, we were then two chapters down the road. Everyone was basically on their own. The classes were so fast paced, there wasn't time to absorb any of the material. All the test were open-book, so you had plenty of time to search the books for the answers. Once I completed the courses, I had to basically start over and re-study what I should have learned. After many more months of studying, I passed my CPC exam (barely) a few months ago. My best advice is to take a coding class in person, or an on-line course that promises to interact with the students. My community college really let me down! I took the Blitz review course offered here, and it honestly saved me! I wouldn't have passed the exam without it! Aslo, take advantage of various bloggs for info. and advice.

Thanks for the info.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I am considering the MTA course even though I am already certified as a refresher for my medical termiinology and anatomy. I already have the book that is being used for the MTA course. I am going to take the Blitz review course to help me get ready to take my CCS-P exam to go along with my CPC-A. I am hoping that once I get my CCS-P, employers will give me a chance to work as a coder rather than passing me by because of my CPC-A credential. It might be easier to get the experience with a CCS-P and get the "A" removed from my CPC.

Sparky

So many of us have experienced the failing system in these educational programs that promised us so much. They create these picture of degrees or whatever they have to offer, designed for the "Real World", but fail to have us fully prepare to what we about to face. Sometimes, I think do these schools honestly care or even know what is going on in the "Real World"??? Don't get me wrong, "Education" is the "Most Important" part of our lives, but today's education is failing all of us even our children!

I agree with Kimberly, take advantage of various blogs and advice for information, I believe they are very helpful.

Kathy, I would trust the CCO programs offered, I learned more from all the Webinars I attended (since becoming a member) then what I have in the past eight months with the career school. When I am able to do so, I will be purchasing the items from CCO with what is needed for me to past the exam. I am still hoping to do that by end of this year. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

I too what to say thank you for all the information, support, and advice.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Kimberly--I took a coding/billing class in person. I chose it over online because I thought I would get a better education, it would look better on my resume, etc. Wrong! I, too, did not learn a thing and the teacher was fired midstream. We got an awesome replacement but it was too late, the course was almost through. There were only two students remaining at that point, one being me! I studied very hard all on my own and did pass my CPC exam on my first try. So all's well that ends well? Had I known about Laureen from the get-go, I would not have hesitated to take her course. I highly recommend it! As far as stating on your resume that your course was online, I don't think much matters anymore, especially after my own experience and experiences I've now heard from others. And more and more people are going the online route these days, even for master's degrees. And as far as support---you have all of us!!! :)

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
I had my interview at the job agency this morning. The agency just emailed me and said that the firm they were interested in sending me to has all the interviews lined up that they need right now but she said she has others in mind for me and they place a lot of people in medical offices, as well.
I also had an interview this afternoon for an office manager position in a small doctor's office. I would love that job! I have no experience though, of course, but I was honest with them about that and they said if the right personality comes along they don't care if that person has no experience. The good thing is that I think I interviewed well and they are owned by a big hospital corporation so I'm hoping that if I am not a fit for this position, they will remember for another. I also have an interview tomorrow but it is for another law firm. I'm just glad I'm getting interviews finally!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
That is great to hear, TheresaR! I hope that I can get some interviews and get back to work.

Sparky

TheresaR, I am so happy hear great news, best of luck! I am so happy for you.:) I am still waiting for a call back but no news is good news as they say. I continue to send out resumes.

I am learning new software "Medisoft advanced Version 16". I am close to completing my studies and striving towards the CPC exam. Have a Great Day!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Aw the jobs. I know it is going to get better ladies. There are jobs out there but they don't come easy. You will really have to market yourself. Have confidence and let them see how much you enjoy what you are doing. ;)

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Aw the jobs. I know it is going to get better ladies. There are jobs out there but they don't come easy. You will really have to market yourself. Have confidence and let them see how much you enjoy what you are doing. ;)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thanks for the encouragement, Alicia. I have already applied to a couple of coding positions and waiting to hear back. I plan to apply to more positions as I see them, but I am also taking this time to review what I have learned in the past couple of years in coding and study for my CCS-P coding certification exam. I am also taking this time to get ready for the ICD-10 exam when it comes available.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You have your plate full. Sounds like me...working on several certifications.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I plan to take the ICD-10 exam when it comes out, probably in the first couple months it is out.

Sparky

Alicia, thank you. Yes, the jobs are out there but very difficult to get your foot in the door. I have received many many rejection letters, I could make a scrap book out of them (LOL). This will not stop me! Just like Carolyn, I will continue my studies and decide on what other certifications I want to accomplish along with learning the ICD-10 and be ready for 2014.

At the moment I in process of learning Medisoft (advanced version 16) - Electronic Medical Records. This is the last stretch before graduating.